The first thing you need to know is that you do not need to be a Jamie Oliver or a Delia Smith to bake simple, tasty and nutritious dog biscuits for your furry friends. I shall not disclose who, but one of the Wagnificent team actually got suspended from Home Economics classes for being a danger to themselves and other students – and still manages to cook fantastic dog biscuits every month!
The second important thing to note is that there are no hard and fast recipe rules (who likes too many rules anyway?) and very little measuring if any at all! You can be as creative as you want, when it comes to the main ingredients. The Wagnificent dogs have tried and tested many recipes over the years and this one is always popular. We like to call it Nutty Banana Biscuits!
YOU WILL NEED
Baking tray and a sheet of baking paper
Biscuit or cookie cutter
A clean paint brush or egg glaze brush if you are culinary minded
A small bowl
A mixing bowl
1 x egg
¼ x bag of flour (Wholemeal, Spelt, Rice flour for example)
1 x tbsp of Meridian crunchy almond butter or peanut butter – MUST be Xylitol free (see our note below for further info)
½ x a ripe banana (just browning is perfect for mashing)
1 x tablespoon of good quality honey
WE ALSO INCLUDED
IMPORTANT TO KNOW
Xylitol is the nasty artificial sweetener that is extremely toxic for dogs and not that great for humans really. Also look for Palm oil free too. Some manufacturers are cutting costs by using palm oil instead of nut oil.
We are big fans of the Meridian range as they are both Xylitol and palm oil free and readily available online or in any good quality health food shop, or supermarket. When you open it, there is usually a layer of oil on top – this is completely natural, just mix it together well before dolloping in your biscuit mix.
- Using a small bowl, crack one egg in and whisk with a fork until fully mixed
- Sprinkle some flour into a larger mixing bowl – the measurements do not really matter at this point, but start with a little as you can always add more but not take it away. Add half a ripe banana, the honey, a generous tablespoon of almond or peanut butter, then add between ½ and ¾ of the mixed egg to the flour and mash and mix it together with a wooden spoon.
3. It will probably be a big, brownish sticky blob at this point. Do not panic! Add the spirulina, Holistic Hound herbs and another dusting of flour. Keep mixing.
4. Keep adding flour in small qualities until it starts to get ‘dough like’ and then get your hands dirty and start kneading!
5. Once it is no longer wet, and has the appearance of dough, and can be rolled – do just that! Roll the dough out using a rolling pin until it is quite thin. No more than around 5mm thick (or your biscuits will be thick and stodgy and not cook through) and then use your cookie or biscuit cutter to cut out the shapes, then lay them on the baking paper on a baking tray.
6. Pre heat the oven to 160c (140c if fan assisted) 325F (Gas mark 3).
7. With the remaining whisked egg, carefully glaze each biscuit with a light coat of egg.
8. Once the oven is up to temperature, put your baking tray in, on a middle shelf and bake for 10 -15 minutes until the biscuits are a light, golden brown, then flip them over, glaze the back of them and bake for a further 5 minutes.
9. Once brown on the opposite side, leave on a wire rack to cool. Once totally cool, serve one to each of your very curious pups who have probably been sat at your feet during the entire process! Store the remainder in an airtight box.
Voila! Super simple and extremely tasty dog biscuits!
You have just gained your gold star for dog ownership.