Wagnificent Bacon and Beetroot Hearts
As we fast approach that special time of year, don’t forget your four legged friends and try out this Wagnificent new recipe.
With all of our Wagnificent dog recipes, we aim to keep the recipe itself super simple and use ingredients that readily available. The vital ingredient is a sprinkling of love to make them extra special!
The idea being that even the most inexperienced chefs can rustle up a delicious, doggy delight.
There are no hard and fast recipe rules you have to follow here at Wagnificent, you can be as creative as you like! We try to take the pain out of rigidly following recipes, by gently guiding you through the process. The Wagnificent dogs have tried and tested many recipes over the years and this one has their seal of approval for this Valentine’s Day.
YOU WILL NEED:
Baking tray and a sheet of baking paper
Biscuit or cookie cutter, hearts ideally!
A clean paint brush or egg glaze brush if you are culinary minded
A small bowl
A mixing bowl
¼ x bag of flour (Wholemeal, Spelt, Rice flour for example)
1 x egg
100g of gently cooked bacon bits
1 slice of cooked Beetroot (finely diced)
1 x teaspoon of cream cheese, such as Philadelphia
FACT: Beetroot offers your dog vitamin B6, potassium, phytonutrients and also helps the liver to detoxify as it is high in antioxidents. Beetroot should only be given in small quantities.
- Dice the bacon bits into small chunks and gently cook and leave to cool.
- Using a small bowl, crack one egg in and whisk with a fork
- Sprinkle some flour into a larger mixing bowl – the measurements do not really matter at this point, but start with a little as you can always add more but not take it away.
- Add the cooled bacon bits to the larger mixing bowl along with ¾ of the mixed egg and mix it together with a wooden spoon.
- It will probably be quite a wet blob of dough. Do not panic! Add the finely diced beetroot, another dusting of flour and the optional supplements of herbs and spirulina. Keep mixing!
- Keep adding flour in very small qualities until it starts to get ‘dough like’ and then get your hands dirty and start kneading! Be patient as you slowly add the flour to your mix and keep on folding and kneading it until it is all mixed in.
- Once it is no longer wet, has the appearance of dough and can be rolled – do just that! Roll the dough out using a rolling pin until it is quite thin. No more than around 5mm thick (or your biscuits will be thick and stodgy and not cook thoroughly) and then use your cookie or biscuit cutter to cut out the shapes. Lay them on the baking paper on a baking tray.
For this one we used our heart shaped cutter.
8. Pre heat the oven to 160c (140c if fan assisted) 325F (Gas mark 3).
9. With the remaining whisked egg, carefully glaze each biscuit with a light coat of egg.
10. Once the oven is up to temperature, put your baking tray in, on a middle shelf and bake for 10 minutes or until the biscuits appear cooked, then flip them over, glaze the back of them and bake for a further 10 minutes.
11. Once brown on the opposite side, leave on a wire rack to cool.
12. Once totally cool, you may want to top them with a little cream cheese and add a diamond of beetroot, for the finishing touch! Mix the cheese with a little beetroot juice if you want pink icing.
13. Serve one to each of your furry friends who have probably been sat at your feet during the entire process and store the remainder in an airtight box.
That’s it you are done and have probably won the heart of your dog forever!
Happy Valentine’s Day!
The Wagnificent HQ